10:00AM - 2:00PMSend a message Listen Live
Lucky escape after a frying pan's left on the hob
A Shrewsbury man had a lucky escape overnight when he left a frying pan on his cooker with a ring still switched on. The gentleman who admitted having had a few drinks had made himself a meal and forgot to switch the cooked off. He later retired to bed and although his smoke alarm activated, he did not hear it.
Luckily his neighbors in the flat upstairs heard it and called the Fire and Rescue Service. Station Manager Andy Griffiths said "Drinking and cooking can be a fatal combination. Drinking dulls the senses and people make mistakes, if it wasn't for the smoke alarm sounding and the vigilant neighbours we could have been talking about a fatality today".
Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service are launching a summer campaign aimed at raising awareness of the dangers of drinking and cooking. Cooking related fires are on the increase and account for a large number of the calls received by the Service.